Thursday, October 17, 2013

Update on Previous Post

So the last time I posted I discussed my testing and how I was trying to determine how long a test should take.

So here's the update:  the elementary algebra test was fine.  I was worried for nothing.  The college algebra test was a little long, but that only affect 2 people and I let them come in and finish it later.

However, I did get a surprise.  The third test was intermediate algebra, and I had not even thought it would be a problem.  It took me 12 minutes.  It ended up taking the students 2 hours.  Yes, 2 hours.  At the end of the first hour no one had finished, so I told them I'd let them finish on Monday.  For Monday, they again took the whole hour.  That was a disaster, and I was surprised.  How did I go so wrong?

The intermediate algebra test was exclusively graphing.  There were a couple interpretation problems, but I think the main thing was that they were just not as quick as I am on graphing.  In fact, instead of the multiplier of 3, I should have had a multiplier of 5. 

To remedy the situation I curved the test using a square-root curve.  I fully admitted it was my fault in making it too long.  The number of points on the test should have tipped me off, as previous tests were in the 60-90 point range, and this was 106.  But I don't know if that is significant or not.

So for my next test that includes graphing, the one for elementary algebra, I have used a multiplier of 5.  We'll see tomorrow if this is correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment